Saturday, January 3, 2009

My Charmed Life

Acts 1:8 “But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit come on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.” (NIV)

What kind of witness can I be? I have not come out of the pit of despair. I have not walked in the shadow of death. I am a suburban mom, happily married with a nice home and a 403b.

Jesus had a hard talk with a man who had also lived a charmed life. He came to Jesus and asked him what he had to do to have eternal life. This young rich man proudly replied that he had followed the commandments since the day he was born. Jesus told him to sell all he had and follow Him. The young man sadly walked away, unable to let go of his things. (Matthew 19:16-32 NIV)

When you live a charmed life, there are many things to rely on other than God. You trust your abilities to support your family. You trust your savings will continue to grow. You trust your home will stand strong. You trust your husband will always be by your side.

Psalm 121:2 says “My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth.” (NIV) My witness is that I believe that all good things are gifts from God alone, and in Him I place my trust. My testimony is that if everything was taken away, He would be there to comfort me. My joy is in Him. I know that in the end, I will be with Him and nothing will compare to that.

The strength to say these things is not of myself, it is another gift. Even the thought of losing my family makes me want to cry. Jesus knows this of us. Of the young rich man he said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." (Matt. 16: 26b NIV) I am powerful because of the Holy Spirit living in me. In His strength, I will trust.

1 comment:

  1. Well, here I am reading your blog! Who knew a techno-tard could figure this all out... I even bookmarked the page so I can find you easily again! I shall be a sounding board for you in your writing. Keep the good words flowing. (More about those red boots later....).
    love ya.

    ReplyDelete